Who you are matters

Hello, my name is Lauren and I was born and raised in Las Vegas. Although I initially chose USC because I wanted to live in Los Angeles, I would like to take my future years somewhere else on the West Coast or move back to Vegas once I graduate. I am currently pursuing a career track in data science and hope to secure a job in either the tech or beauty industry in hopes of moving and living in a place with a lower cost of living.  

In terms of my personality, I consider myself to be very quiet and introverted, which is somewhat different than both of my parents. My mother is outgoing, always meeting and striking up conversations with strangers anywhere she goes. While we may not share the same personality, me and my mother do share similar interests. We both like playing tennis, watching the same TV shows/movies, and listening to similar music. However, a lot of my relatives say I look more like my father than my mother. My father was a really quiet and stubborn person and unfortunately, I may have taken upon some of those traits as well. My father and I also share the same love for classic rock music and true crime shows. 

My parents never really put harsh expectations on me when I was a kid and even now. But because I grew up in a very competitive school environment, I think a lot of pressure came from myself, other classmates, and teachers to do well and succeed. Nowadays, I just try to keep reasonable expectations for myself and do whatever makes me happy.

I consider my parents and grandparents to be my role models, but I do look up to a lot of my friends in a lot of ways. My best friend Gabby is incredibly hardworking and ambitious, and I admire her confidence in anything that she sets her mind to. I wish to carry myself with the same drive and enthusiasm as she does in her everyday life. 

For some reason, I feel a special connection with raccoons. Something about raccoons is just so funny and interesting; to me, they seem very carefree and curious about the world. To be honest, I don’t have good encounters with trees or plants. I remember taking a school trip to Washington D.C. when I was younger and ended up having a severe allergic reaction to a plant I brushed up against. My teachers ended up taking me to the ER because my arm and hand got enormously swollen. Not one of my fondest childhood moments. 


Sun Sign: Scorpio

Moon Sign: Leo

Ascendant: Leo

Comments

  1. Hi Lauren! I think its really cool that you are from Vegas - what were your most and least favorite things about growing up there? I love that you and your parents share different aspects of your personality - what classic rock musician/true crime shows would you watch/listen to? I agree that growing up in a competitive environment can be both challenging and inspiring - but I love that you have learned to create reasonable expectations for yourself over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! I love how you and your mom share a lot of the same interests - I think it's a great way to stay connected with your family, especially in college when we're all away from them for such a long period of time. I agree with your love for raccoons, because everytime I see them wandering around it makes me want to tease them and I start laughing for no reason. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your time at USC and explore different parts of the West coast you can move to in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren! It’s super cool that you want to pursue a career in the beauty industry. It’s a fun one for sure, and I could see you enjoying the quick paced and fun environment. Unfortunately, I’ve also not had many good encounter with trees or plants, so I’m glad we’re both in the same boat. Hopefully this new year we’ll both have better experiences with nature. I’ve been thinking of starting a new true crime, so you’ll have to give me recommendations! Good luck with everything, and I’m excited to have a class with you this semester :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lauren, I would be very jealous that your parents never put high expectation on you and never set harsh requirements on you. That would be such a great experience since I never experienced before. What was your experience of growing up in Las Vegas? I want to hear more since I wants to move to Las Vegas and become a poker pro after graduation. How is it different from Los Angeles?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AMDP Final

Random Post #2

World We Imagine 1