Article Final

Feeling Lucky?

The Top Reasons to Take A Gamble and Move to Vegas 

Do you live in a casino? Whenever I tell people that I’m from Vegas, they always ask something along these lines or gasp in awe. I feel that most people are unaware that yes, there are houses in Vegas. Yes, there are also schools. And yes, people have other jobs besides working in casinos and bars. Hopefully, I can sway some of your opinions you have against what people call “Sin City.”

I remember the shocked look on my roommate’s face when I told her that it was normal for slot machines to be at gas stations, grocery stores, and even the airport. When my college friends talk about how their high-school hang-out spots were houses or fun museums and parks, I would be so jealous. As a kid, our hangout spots would be the casino! The casinos have everything; everything from bowling alleys to arcades, movie theaters, food courts, and pools. But dang, do they make these casinos kid-friendly? I’m not even kidding, there is a daycare spot in the casino in case your parents want to make some extra cash on the slot machines without having to look after their kids. I have a bunch of crazy stories from growing up there that are such fond memories now that I look back on them.

After living there for about 18 years, I see Vegas as much more than just gambling, drinking, and partying. I grew up hating the city but now I miss it more than ever. Some of the nicest people I have ever met and interacted with were from when I was living in Vegas. I think that the community there is so welcoming, tight-knit, and generous. In 2023, 41 million people visited Vegas, which is a slight 5% increase from 2022 (KTNV). It’s clear that people like visiting, but what would make them take the risk and move?


There are three main reasons why I think Vegas is a great city to live in:

Traffic
Imagine yourself after a long day of work. All you want to do is relax at home watching your favorite show in bed. If you were in LA, you could forget about that. Traffic is so bad here you have to drive an extra hour bumper to bumper just to get home. When I first moved here, I was surprised that to travel 1 mile, it can take about 30 minutes by car. It would be faster for me to just walk at this point! One thing that Vegas has to offer is less traffic. You can get from one side of town to the other (27 miles) in about 30 minutes. The highways are also easy to drive compared to the deathtrap that is merging on the 110. It is also easy to navigate; we have three major highways and all our streets are basically in grids. If you are living here, parking is never really an issue here. Parking on the Strip can be expensive, but if you are going anywhere else, parking is free and available.

Entertainment
Here’s the section that I think everyone is waiting for. When you first think of Vegas, you think of the Strip. The Strip is a straight 4-mile street filled with casinos, nightlife, a 21+ Taco Bell, and anything else you can think of. As a local, we visit the Strip only once or twice a year, mainly because dealing with tourists and tourist traffic is a headache and a half. Believe it or not, there are other casinos targeted more for locals near the residential areas to avoid the crowdedness of the Strip. Durango and Red Rock just to name a few.


Gambling: After a run on the blackjack table the day of my 21st birthday, gambling quickly became a disinterest to me as I blankly stared at my bank account the next morning. But, if you do have luck on your side, Vegas is the best place to gamble. In a survey conducted by the LVCVA, about 61% of locals are categorized as gamblers, with 26% of those gambling more than twice a week (Shinnar). First, well, because it’s legal here. And second, it is a lot of fun. If you can fill up a table with just your friends or people you know, it can actually be tons of fun. The environment is always lively and you can be assured of a good time regardless.

Clubbing: If you’re into sweaty dancing and loud music, Vegas has an incomparable clubbing scene. Every weekend, The Strip hosts plenty of concerts or clubs with popular artists and DJs, ranging from country to EDM music. CNN Travel ranks Las Vegas as the #8 best city in the world for best nightlife (CNN). Vegas holds EDC and LIB if you are a festival-goer. And of course, without gambling and clubbing, you need alcohol. There’s not much to say about this, but let’s just say that you will never be depleted or have trouble finding an alcohol source here.


Other: What if gambling, drinking, and clubbing aren’t your thing? There are a lot of other forms of entertainment that might interest you. For example, they recently built this sphere whose inside is filled with vivid displays, a wraparound LED screen, and immersive audio. Inside the sphere, they host concerts, shows, and other events. Surprisingly, hockey is a big sport here and was our first professional sports team. We then acquired the Raiders in 2020 and are also set to introduce a baseball team in 2028. Sports games, shopping, eating, and hiking are very popular hobbies here. If you end up living here, it is easy to always find something to do.

Costs
If you are trying to find a place with a low cost of living, affordable housing, and decent gas prices, you are in luck! Vegas’s cost of living is slightly higher than the national average, but for a big city, it does its job. Compared to other West Coast cities such as LA, Seattle, or San Francisco, Las Vegas has the lowest cost of living and housing prices. In Nevada, there is no state income tax. If you want to start a business, Nevada contends as one the best states to do so; “[Nevada has] a very low-regulation environment, a streamlined licensing and approval processes, and a favorable tax environment” (GOED). If you want to save money just to gamble it all away later, Vegas is your place.


Just like any other big city, Vegas has its cons. The sweltering 110° weather during the summers and the lifeless public transportation system. But if the three above things are valuable to you when thinking about where to live, Vegas is a great place to consider. So, take the risk, place your bets, and move to the city that never sleeps.



Works Cited 

“Business Incentives.” Governor’s Office of Economic Development, 2 Feb. 2024,
        goed.nv.gov/incentives/.

Horwath, Bryan. “Las Vegas Notches Big Gains in 2023 International Visitation, Report Shows.”
    Channel 13 Las Vegas News KTNV, Channel 13 Las Vegas News KTNV, 2 Feb. 2024,                    www.ktnv.com/news/las-vegas-notches-big-gains-in-2023-international-visitation-report-      shows#:~:text=All%20total%2C%20just%20under%2041,a%205%25%20increase%20from           %    202022.

Manson, Mark. “World’s Best Nightlife Cities.” CNN, Cable News Network, 2 Oct. 2014,

Shinnar, Rachel. “Las Vegas Locals as Gamblers and Hosts to Visiting Friends and Family:
    Characteristics and Gaming Behavior.” UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal, Volume     8, Issue     2, pp. 39-48.

Comments

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I like how you color coordinated your headings and made it easy to follow. Overall, great post.
    -PR

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so interesting to read and your storytelling is very captivating! I can relate to not liking where I was from (Massachusetts) but now being away from it I miss it more than ever! I learned so much for this post, I never knew that Casinos were child-friendly and that they were at gas stations even!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AMDP Final

Random Post #2

World We Imagine 1