Book #2 Post 2
I read Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness by Dr. Rick Hanson. I am actually a fan of reading these kinds of genres of books because I like seeing how people view things from different perspectives. He divides the book into four sections: recognizing, resourcing, regulating, and relating. I like how not only does he explain the reasoning for why you should embody these qualities but also the scientific/biological reasoning. I think we’ve all had experiences going through hardships and it’s easy to get down on yourself and spiral. I think this book can serve as a constant message or reminder to be more compassionate and empathetic to not just others but also yourself.
I like how through each section, he gives an example of a situation or he tells the reader, “recall a time where you…”. I like how he does this because it personalizes the experience for the reader and puts it into their own perspective for how they can incorporate these values into their everyday life. For me, this book was insightful. In the sense of taking a step back and reflecting on how my everyday thoughts, whether negative or positive, or rational or irrational, have a substantial impact on how I view myself. I think understanding your own emotions and being able to regulate them can promote healthy thinking.
One part that really stood out to me was the section titled ‘calm.’ This chapter was particularly interesting to read because he delves into the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems and why you may not feel relaxed all the time. I like how he gave some useful tips on breathing techniques and a rational thought process for easing anxiety. Sometimes, I feel like I tend to overthink a lot of things and my thoughts go all over the place. Reminding myself to slow down and recognize threats/triggers can be extremely helpful. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book as it seemed very understanding, and I learned a lot more than what I was expecting.
I like how through each section, he gives an example of a situation or he tells the reader, “recall a time where you…”. I like how he does this because it personalizes the experience for the reader and puts it into their own perspective for how they can incorporate these values into their everyday life. For me, this book was insightful. In the sense of taking a step back and reflecting on how my everyday thoughts, whether negative or positive, or rational or irrational, have a substantial impact on how I view myself. I think understanding your own emotions and being able to regulate them can promote healthy thinking.
One part that really stood out to me was the section titled ‘calm.’ This chapter was particularly interesting to read because he delves into the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems and why you may not feel relaxed all the time. I like how he gave some useful tips on breathing techniques and a rational thought process for easing anxiety. Sometimes, I feel like I tend to overthink a lot of things and my thoughts go all over the place. Reminding myself to slow down and recognize threats/triggers can be extremely helpful. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book as it seemed very understanding, and I learned a lot more than what I was expecting.
Hi Lauren!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your reflection on "How to Grow an Unshakable Core" by Dr Rick Hanson. You do an amazing job providing a roadmap to new readers for what they might expect before reading this book and also what key takeaways they may have after. I like how you were able to personalize the book and connect a lot of the themes and messages to your own life. The author seems to do an amazing job allowing readers to personalize the book and encouraging them to find personal connections to the themes/messages. In doing so, readers can identify threats/triggers which causes them to react in certain ways. After identifying the key trigger or source of anxiety, the reader can then practice slowing down and finding new responses to different issues in life. Overall, great analysis of the book and great post!
-PR
Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI am also a fan of reading these types of books where finding new perspectives and different view points are the main point of the book. I think that finding different view points and perspectives is a way for you to understand people in a different way but also being more emotionally tapped into yourself. You did a great job talking about the section in the book called calm. This chapter was also one of my favorites because of the same reasons you pointed out of delving into parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems and why you may or may not feel relaxed. Very insightful chapter with lots of wisdom and benefits for easing anxiety. Overall great post!
Hey Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI'm also a big fan of books that offer fresh perspectives and diverse viewpoints. I really liked that you spoke about writing style where he brings in the reader by asking them to remember a part of their life where they felt a certain way. It's such an insightful book, offering a wealth of wisdom and practical tips for managing anxiety. Overall, great post. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! I did not choose this book but I am able to get a sense of what it is about and feel I should try to read it because there are many things to learn. I love to remind myself to be more kind and compassion not only to others but also to myself. I also think that breathing is a very effective technique that helps us calm our minds and come back to our core! Thank you!!
Hi Lauren! I really liked how you outlined the overall organization of the book and the author’s approach to teaching each section to his readers. I also appreciate that you explained what part of his writing style helped you better connect with the book and the teachings the author was trying to convey. Thanks for sharing some of your insights from the reading and your real world application of reminding yourself to slow down and recognize triggers. Your reflection in the end reminded me of what I need to start doing in my life by taking the time to recognize my triggers whether it be in relation to stress or anxiety.
ReplyDelete