How the Week Organizes and Tyrannizes Our Lives
Before reading this, I honestly thought about why we structure some things the way they are. For example, who decided that school should start at 8am and end at 3pm? Why do we have to start so early? Or the times when the stock market opens. Additionally, a lot of people don't like the US because we adopted a different measurement system other than using meters/Celcius/grams. But it is universally a seven-day week around the world. In my opinion, it would be so much easier if our year was equally divided into the same amount of days in a month. But the World Calender also created new days, such as Leap Day which occurs every four years. I also think that it's really interesting that the seven-day week system started because of religious reasons; I always thought it was because of a 5-day work week.
I also found it interesting how before the Meso-American days, ancient civilizations such as the Mayans, developed their own way of tracking time. The Mayan calendar is made of 13 successions of 20 days, which means 260 days. They used the planets, the Sun, and the Moon to create the calendar system. Throughout history, different cultures developed their own calendar systems to best fit their events, economy, religion, etc.. This was a really interesting article to read because I never really knew the answer to this question before.
Comments
Post a Comment