World We Imagine 1

Jacqueline Novogratz in the Blue Sweater had dreams and passions of making the world a better place one step at a time. Leaving her stable position as an international banker at Chase, Novogratz’s true passion was solving the gap between the poor and rich. While she initially had dreams of working in Brazil, she ended up with an opportunity in Africa, where she had unexpected and surprising outcomes. As I continued to read her story, I realized that she had to overcome a lot of biases and challenges to make her presence known in Africa. A lot of the women there did not know she was there with good intentions and thus, she initially had trouble with initiation. Her plans were not followed strictly and she had to adapt to her surroundings. I believe that her sacrifice to leave a stable job to come and do something that was risky, but followed her passion, is inspiring and something I aspire to do someday.  


As I read this quote, I think about how others sometimes must speak up for the less fortunate, those who were not born with the freedoms or liberties that some others are born with. I consider all the privileges that I was granted and question ways that I can help others. If I have the opportunities, privilege, and tools to enact change, I should strive to make the world better for future generations. 

So, when I think about my purpose on this planet, or as a citizen, I ask myself how can I help? I think about how Novogratz’s story is so inspirational, but wonder if I will be able to reach the height of her accomplishments and success. I honestly don’t know where to start or what would be the most impactful service I can do for our community. There are small ways in which change or success can be measured. One can implant change to the world in various and unique ways, which makes everyone’s purpose a little different. To me, I honestly don’t think there is one right or wrong way to help, as long as your intentions are good and safe. Everyone has their own passions and interests that they will pursue and everyone will find ways to use those strengths to help the world in their own unique way. 


After graduation or later in life, I have always wanted to pursue a career in music. My dream ever since I was a little kid was to be a music producer and create music that people can enjoy listening to. I don’t think producing music will have that much positive impact compared to people who are actually trying to solve the biggest world problems, but I hope that I can make someone’s day better, even if it’s just for a few minutes. Maybe one day I'll have the courage like Novogratz to actually take a risk and pursue my passions and put in the work. 

Comments

  1. Hello Lauren, after reading your post, I really like the sentence "I honestly don’t think there is one right or wrong way to help, as long as your intentions are good and safe". I think the same way as you just like there is no right or wrong way to help. As long as we are doing our best to help, it is in a positive way. Thank you for the post and good luck with your music career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, I love how you identified a passion that might help make the world a better place. Although creating music does not have the same clear-cut positive impact as volunteering in Africa, I think music has the power to change a lot of people's lives. Music can greatly improve mood, reduce stress, unite people, and help people feel understood. I was an orchestra nerd in high school and although I don't play the cello anymore, music continues to have a huge impact on my life. I'm sure many others feel the same way. Thank you for sharing and best of luck with pursuing your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren, I really liked how you shared your thoughts about having the right intentions and using your passion to do good to the world. I agree that there is no right or wrong in what success is, and it can be very flexible. Depending on our upbringings and values, we should consider what matters most to us and what we can do within our power to achieve the greater good. Ultimately, I think it starts with the small things and helping the people around us, and like you, I also hope to one day have the power to become a positive impact to a larger community like Novogratz did. I loved reading your post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AMDP Final

Random Post #2